Brunssum and its wooden church are first recorded in 1150. The church lay on the edge of the river valley at the crossroads of a former Roman road, where the Blazoen residential complex now stands. Three successive churches have stood on this site. The earliest brick church is a simple rectangular structure with a straight screened choir. Remains of Roman roof tiles were used in the foundations. About a century later, a western tower was added. After that, the church was regularly enlarged.
Various graves have been found in and around the church. The skelatons have been excavated and examined. One turned out to be especially big and was dubbed by archaeologists working in the field as the Giant of Brunssum.
St Gregory the Great is the patron saint of Brunssum and the present church, a historical monument, remains a magnificent edifice visible from far and wide. In front of the church there’s a stone carving of St Gregory washing a pilgrim’s feet.
PLEASE NOTE: The location of the spear is at the intersection Dorpstraat/kerkstraat, near the St. Gregory's Church.
Find also other Archeo Route Limburg locations